Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The strength of a Reporter

In the wake of the wild fires of California, I have chosen to write about the reporter who's house was destroyed. I'm not sure of the man's name but I do know that the firefighters evacuated all of his neighborhood, including him because it was in the fire's path. Once the officials gave the ok for the residents to go see if their house was still standing, he still took to his job as a reporter and went in with a microphone in his hand.
It was heartbreaking to see his reaction to his destroyed home. He said, "On any other given day, I would say, "welcome to my home." Unfortunately this is all that is left".
I was amazed to see how strong he was during the whole ordeal. If it were me, I don't know that I would be able to remain composed and be able to still go on air. He basically saw what was left of his home in front of millions of people watching the news.
I feel that he probably knew that he had to show all of America how severe this fire truly is, however I think that it was one instance where I would draw the line. Once a story becomes personal, it takes on a whole other angle.
I give him a lot of respect for what he did. I'm not sure how others would have handled the situation if it where them.

No comments: